Monday, November 2, 2009

Driver jailed over passenger death


AAP October 29, 2009 6:43PM

A SPEEDING Melbourne driver who killed his passenger when he ran through a red light and slammed into another car has been jailed for four years.
Mark Donald Shannon, 30, was travelling at more than double the 40km/h speed limit in a Flinders Street roadworks zone in central Melbourne on August 24, 2005, when he crashed.
One of his passengers, Samantha Saul, was critically injured and died several weeks later when her life-support system was turned off in hospital.
Two other passengers - Tim Allen and David Clarke - were seriously injured.
The Victorian County Court heard that Shannon and his passengers had been at Crown Casino and were driving to a nightclub when the crash occurred at about 3.45am.
Judge Stuart Campbell noted Shannon was driving at 84km/h in the 40km/h zone and road conditions and visibility at the time were described as poor.
After speeding through the light he slammed into another car and then into a temporary traffic barrier.
"This was an extraordinarily high speed to be travelling in the vicinity of these roadworks, let alone in the city," Judge Campbell said.
"How did you come to drive in this manner and be responsible for so much misery?"
Judge Campbell noted Shannon had drunk alcohol on the night of the crash but evidence regarding his blood alcohol reading was ruled inadmissible.
Shannon pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death and two counts of negligently causing serious injury.
The court heard Shannon had only met Ms Saul and Mr Clarke on the night of the crash.
The pair agreed to go in Shannon's car to another nightclub.
Shannon was remorseful and had accepted responsibility for his actions, the court heard.
Judge Campbell said he was legally bound to sentence Shannon under old legislation that had a five-year maximum sentence for dangerous driving causing death.
The penalty has since increased to 10 years.
Shannon, of Murrumbeena in Melbourne's southeast, must serve two years prison before being eligible for parole.
He was also disqualified from driving for three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment